History of the Unity VFD
The Unity Volunteer Fire Department - Plum Borough Station #1 was organized July 9th, 1925 by a group of sixty civic minded persons of the community. The first truck was purchased from money raised from a carnival held July 17-18, 1925. The first Fire Chief was John Miller who served as Chief from 1925 to 1936. The first President was H.M. Tarr. The original Fire Station was in the "downtown" Unity section of the borough on Station Street. Back then Unity was a small railroad community bordering the neighboring Bessemer railroad station. The light blue became the apparatus color sometime in the early 1950's. The original reason remains unknown.
Thru the years the department has grown, and in 1972 moved to our current Fire Station on Old Leechburg Rd. Now with 6 pieces of a apparatus, the dept. continues to grow with over 800 responses in 2006. As Plum Borough grows we will continue to as well and attempt to provide the best fire/rescue protection possible.
Unity VFD's first fire truck in 1925 (Howard Tarr in photo)
Our equipment and firefighters in 1951
Plum Borough's first Rescue truck in 1958
Unity's tanker from 1958
The classic 1959 Mack pumper
1973 Mack CF Pumper
1977 Rescue (Special Service)
Unity's Mack Army truck from the 1970's
Training session from the 1970's
New and Old - new 1999 Pierce Dash pumper with our 1979 American
Lafrance 75 ft. Aerial Truck (photo from Open House in year 2000)
Unity VFD's 75th Anniversary party on Gateway Clipper Fleet in year 2000